Personal Statement

Fashion to me, is beautiful, not just aesthetically, but within the connotations that lie behind it. The way we dress is individual and personal to the wearer but can be a common interest between everyone at the same time. It helps define your personality, and tells us something about you, without words. I love that it can be used to express the way you feel; representing and building upon aspects of our personalities. It evokes a feeling in a person and creates energy in me. This is why my fascination and love for fashion will continue to grow and why I know I want to pursue a career in something I strongly believe in.
As a creative person, things that make me think further have always inspired me. As an example; how an idea or object can be interpreted in different ways and created into something that can be worn. I've always had a very visual and extremely hands on approach to learning. Art and textiles being my favourite school subjects kept me very motivated, competitive and ambitious. I also hold a great love for vintage, be it clothing, accessories or furniture. I take great inspiration for my own style; constantly scouring charity and vintage stores for garments that can change a whole look and add originality. I have also attended exhibitions in London and Paris, including the V&A's 'The Golden Age of Couture.' These experiences also helped open my eyes to historical elements of fashion.
The past three years I have spent developing and heightening my skills in the fashion area, shaping the way in which I perceive things. This has strengthened my desire to pursue fashion as a career. It's a direction I not only see myself heading, but I cannot see myself anywhere else. Through the duration of my foundation degree I have had the opportunity to work on industry based projects. It has also encouraged me to think very thoroughly about my designs from the starting point. I ask myself 'will this be cost efficient, possible to achieve in the time given and technically achievable?' I now feel more secure and confident in my own ability and development. Nothing else will get my heart racing quite like coming up with a new exciting idea and getting it down on paper, eventually completing a project that I've been committed to and feel really proud of. 
I have a diverse mix of work experience; not only does this include my current retail job at Dune but I recently completed an internship with Zeebra Model Management (a local modelling agency). During my time working for the agency, which I loved, I acquired invaluable abilities that I can carry through to future projects. To get the placement candidates had to submit an idea for a marketing campaign that would contribute to the growth of the business. This was used as a basis for the director to choose the intern. I created an event along with a visual presentation. I was extremely proud of this as it led me to do more amazing things during the placement, giving me an enormous insight to the business aspect of fashion. The responsibility of running the casting side of the business built my confidence hugely. Another inspiring experience included a day volunteering as a dresser for the models at the Northumbria graduate fashion show, working in a hectic environment with knowledgeable graduates of a fashion degree.
As so many aspects of the fashion industry excite me, there are various areas I am interested in focusing on as a future career. One ambition is to work as a fashion buyer for a designer or company. Writing my own fashion blog has furthered my enthusiasm for fashion writing. Publications such as Love, Dazed and Confused and i-D have inspired this, along with my interest in styling. Whilst this course will determine my career path, my overall objective is to work with and learn from inspirational designers and to put my own stamp on the industry, inspiring and educating future generations through my own personal style.

No comments:

Post a Comment