Interview, Style Blogger

Rachel Charltons inspirational and exciting view on the world of fashion journalism!




When did you first become interested in blogging, fashion blogging in particular?
I’ve blogged on different platforms since I was 16 with Myspace and Live Journal but they were never for a particular purpose, they were more just my life ramblings. I started fashion blogging in November 2009 because I was at a loose end in my life and knew that I wanted to work in fashion journalism somehow, it took a lot of courage for me to start my blog but I’m glad I did.


Who are your inspirations and influences?
I wouldn’t look to people like Alexa Chung and definitely not Kate Moss, they give an unrealistic view of the fashion and journalism industry. But I do look up to Sarah Burton for everything she’s done with McQueen. In my writing I’m inspired by straight talking women and anything which makes me sit and take notice; I have a short attention span so anything that I can do that is blog-worthy!

Why is fashion important to you?
Its definitely the most exciting industry to be in but is also so complex there are so many areas of fashion and it has no set rules. Its like stepping into a fantasy world and then getting to convey to my readers, you never know who you’re going to meet. The clothes are just a small part of it all. For me mainly though it helped me find an inner confidence I never thought I could have.


How would you describe your own personal style?
I very rarely dress down, even as I write this I’m wearing a floral skirt and Paul & Joe sister floaty top, I’ve always had a vintage feel about my style I like big dresses and skirts and updating them with boxy jackets. I’m almost always in heels and hardly ever wear jeans, but that’s personal preference it’s not feeling I have to because of the industry, that’s why I love seeing other bloggers’ personal style posts, its an extention of their personality.

What do you enjoy most about fashion and blogging?
I love meeting other bloggers, there’s such a sense of community, events don’t feel like “work” but you meet such inspirational people and through blogging I’ve definitely had more opportunities.



What was your first experience at LFW like?
It was the surrealist experience of my life, but also exhausting. It’s not as glamourous as everyone thinks theres a lot of waiting around and its hard work but its an amazing opportunity one that I feel blessed to have had. The four days all blurred into one and I barely slept but it was worth it for the “pinch me” moments like having a cigarette with John Rocha and being stopped for street style shots whilst wearing primark!

From your time at British style bloggers who is the most inspirational person you have had the chance to meet/interview?
I’ve interviewed Katie MacKay from the blog What Katie Wore twice; she posts daily outfit shots and isn’t ashamed to stand out from the crowd, she gives others the confidence to wear what they love and stand out. (whatkatiewore.com)
I also have to say my editor Amy Thompson as she puts her all into the site and never has a bad word to say. I do worry about her sleep pattern though!

How do you feel about the pressure fashion publication put upon their readers and how do you think this could  or will be changed in the future?
Its of course wrong; women shouldn’t have to feel they need to look a certain way or act a certain way, fashion is something to be enjoyed not to be followed by the letter. But I feel that bloggers have a lot of influence and more are standing up against publications, it could take a long time but things can change.

What’s the most valuable lessons you have learned from your experiences?
Anne Agoren from the British Fashion Council once told me “grow elephant skin”, fashion is a very competitive industry, even just writing about it and there will always be one jealous person, but ignore it, rise above it. The other is to reign my personality in; I’m quite loud and speak my mind but not everyone is and you don’t want to scare off people who you may have the opportunity to work with.

Do you have any advice for new bloggers?
Be real to who you are, don’t write anything you don’t believe, take chances and be relatable. That and of course have fun!

Aside from fashion writing what are your other passions?
I campaign a lot to raise awareness for the chronic illness Lupus, which I have and I’ve always been interested in body image.
What are your hopes for the future and what are your dreams and aspirations?
Well at the minute I have a conditional offer at Northumbria to study Fashion Communication so I’m working hard to get the grades. I’d like to one day be working in fashion PR or journalism and my biggest dream is to live in Paris. I have my ideal house planned and the area I want to live.



1 comment: